Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I like tea in teapot, I don’t do it as often as I should, but now I have a bigger kitchen, I think it will be easier to get to.

I like to have my teapot and two cups on the bench under a food cover, sitting on a cloth thingy (the name of which escapes me right now) that my Aunt made. She also made some lovely potholders as well.


A friend of mine always uses a tea pot, I love having tea at her house as it tastes really good, maybe the company makes it all that much better. She only uses loose leaf tea and blends two types of tea together which makes a lovely tea, thing is I can never remember which teas she blends. (Note to self, must write that down)

Loose leaf tea is also more environmentally friendly, no little paper bags that may or may not have been bleached. There is the lack of packaging, only the box the tea comes in, I keep meaning to get loose leaf tea but I really have a lot of tea to drink first before I can do that. Every time I see an interesting tea I buy it, so I am on a no tea buying challenge :)

So, I just throw a tea bag in the pot and some hot water and off I go. There is of course the ritual with the teapot, my partner in crime and life insists that you must spin the teapot three times and tap it on the lid (once I think, or is it twice?). Don’t really know where that came from, probably some old wives thing that has been passed down through the ages and whose origins have been lost in time :)

I think the spinning thing is to help stir the tea through the water and the tapping the lid…. Well, I don’t know, maybe to indicate that the spinning has now finished.

I really hate getting a cuppa in a paper cup, no takeaways for me, at least not when I can help it. I like a ceramic cup, I don’t drink coffee (yuk) but have chai tea and hot chocolate when out and about, so sometimes have a glass, as long as it isn’t paper.

My mother-in-law apparently insists on a handle with her cup. A lot of places give you cups and mugs with no handles but with a serviette wrapped around the body of the cup. I can understand wanting a handle.

This reminds me of that song, I think these are the correct words, though I guess it is like Chinese whispers, and all those songs which you can’t quite catch the words too, it may be a bit distorted from the original.

What I want is a proper cup of coffee
Made in a proper cuppa coffee pot
I may be off my dot
But I want a cuppa coffee in a proper coffee pot

Tin coffee pots and iron coffee pots
They’re no use to me
So…if I can’t have a proper cuppa coffee in a proper cuppa coffee pot
I’lllllll, have a cup of tea.

:)

2 comments:

  1. I agree Katherine, Tea in a paper cup definately does NOT work...on the other hand if one was desperate...perhaps?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually try to only supprt businesses that use reuseable cups and mugs, apart from the fact ceramic is much nicer it is also an environmental thing.

    But definitly, desperation and TEOTWAWKI :)

    ReplyDelete