Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mango Sauce and Daredevils

I have made mango sauce this morning, trying to use up some of our mangoes. The bats have gotten quite a lot, however there are certainly enough left for us to have mangoes for breaky every morning. Of course they all ripen at the same time so I am trying to use them up before they are too far gone.


MANGO SAUCE

3 ripe Bowen mangoes
1 cup vinegar
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1 red chilli (optional)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cloves garlic

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for half and hour and then put through the blender and bottle.




I got this recipe off my neighbour a few years ago now and it is great, use it anywhere you would use tomato sauce I guess, and seeing I have cut my partner in crime and life off from tomatoes because of the arthritis in his hands this is a good substitute.

With this batch however, the garlic I have is growing like you wouldn't believe, so I substituted dry garlic, and I wasn't looking what I was doing and put in half a teaspoon of cloves and then tried to get some back out. So hopefully it will taste OK, I hope so as I really need to make more to use up the mangoes.

On Thursday when I got home from our Tai Chi lunch I walked in to the house and there was a lovely smell of incense, our number one and only son came home at bit before me. That was all good to do and then I saw him in the kitchen, looking through his "101 Things To Do Before You Grow Up Book", this puts fear into me as I have visions of him blowing up the house when I am not here (not that I want him blowing up the house when I am here).


These books are frightening, this is his latest one, the others are "730 Easy Science Experiments", "SAS Survival Handbook", "The Daredevils Manual". I have visions of him parachuting of the roof and eating a live scorpion(though I don't think we have them here thank goodness), though learning how to ice fish is OK and so is making a rope from grass and vines :) I know, kind of boring in comparison. Also there is to be no growing a beard of bees, jumping a motorcycle through a wall of fire or riding a raging bull. It reminds me of that add on TV, I think it was for health insurance? anyway, the kids made a rather large jumping ramp out of milk crates and boxes and then one kid was going to ride his bike up this rather large ramp, the vision in my head is enough.

Building a soft drink bottle rocket was a bit dicey, the second time he made it he did it with the kid from next door and the kid from next door nearly lost his head, of course the boys thought that was quite exciting, I did too in the heart failure kind of way. Got to keep a close eye on them otherwise they just go and do stuff, you encourage them to try stuff and then you say no, no, no. No wonder kids are confused and get in trouble all the time, we say go do something and use you imagination, and they do. Oops, sorry, didn't mean for you to use THAT much imagination, only a little bit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment