Friday, June 24, 2011

Bushfire

There has been a bushfire yesterday and overnight across the highway and a lot of bush is gone and black. When I came home from town yesterday there was smoke everywhere and fire up the side of the road and last night our shed/house just smelled of smoke right the way through including the bedroom.

I hope no buildings were lost in the fire and all the animals managed to get away, though I don’t like to think of these things, a fire does do the bush good with regeneration. However all the smoke was not very pleasant but the line of fire on the very top of the big hill looked pretty in the dark.

I think I am addicted to my chooks, I suppose as addictions go this is not a bad one. I find I am planning for things like a chook orchard around the pen and keeping an eye out for more logs for them to walk on and watching them as they interact as a family/flock, good and bad behaviours.

I haven’t named them all as the names seem to develop over time. There is Pink because she is a pinkie colour, Miss Orange AKA Little Miss Naughty and Miss Black, not forgetting of course Pete, named because we wanted to name him that. The other three hens don’t have names as the names haven’t come to us.

Anyway, they seem to fascinate us more than we thought, even my partner in crime and life is addicted I think, but for our number one and only son they just exist here. Can’t expect much more from a fourteen year old though :D

ON OTHER MATTERS

This is a site I pop into from time to time about pandemics, the flu, infectious disease outbreaks and such around the world. If you think there is nothing of note going on in the world in regard to diseases check out the Avian Flu Diary.

This article titled “The true history of Dole, banana plantations, chemical pesticides and human suffering” is reminder of what chemicals can do, and that there are lot of people out there in the world that are exposed to chemicals even though we don’t see it every day.

A post from Taiwanxifu should give everyone pause for thought. This post reminds us we should be aware of our food in all ways, how it is packaged, how it is processed etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment