Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Chookies Are Happy

My chookies are enjoying being able to come out of the pen and wander around and eat all the bugs and grasshoppers and stuff. They are enjoying dirt baths in the garden and digging up all the stuff they are allowed to.

They are really fun to watch though I have discovered they do not respond to verbal commands. Telling them “no” does nothing or “stop”, or “don’t dig there”.

They will wander quite far if I let them and I have found them down in the gully on the way to the orchard, but can’t let them do that as there are still large dogs wondering around so I keep a close eye out. So far so good. So generally, while they are out I am out too doing some work so I can make sure they aren’t getting into trouble.

They really like the banana trees and the paw paws, I guess because the dirt is really good, so I have had to put wire around all the things that I want protected. Two of them did manage to get stuck inside some wire and not be able to get out, they really aren’t the smartest, and they don’t like to be picked up, but they got out in the end.

I was going to fence the garden, but have decided that just putting the wire around what I want protected is better because I can move the wire around and they can get into old gardens and scratch around and I can still mow without any problems. Though, not having to mow would be better, but I am still thinking on that problem.

ON OTHER MATTERS

Don’t know if I have put this up before, maybe I have, regardless, here it is again, maybe, as it is important that we are informed. An article from the Greenpeace site about GM food, which is something we really don’t want. We don’t know enough about it, and the labelling of our food is poor so we are probably eating GM food and don’t know it. Everyone should find out more about GM food, we should be informed, and if they can’t answer the questions, in a good way, GM food shouldn’t be out there at all. Personally, I don’t think we should be mucking around with our food in this way at all.

I really don’t know why I am amazed every time I come across an article like this. That there are people out here who think that killing everything so they can put money in their pockets is a good idea. According to this article, they are using Agent Orange to kill off the Amazon forest; it is killing the plant and animal life. Words fail me.

This is a old, but relevant post from the blog Not Buying It. The post is called Extreme Frugal Living: The Ultimate Household Budget and while it is not a long post it has a good point about budgets. There should be two categories, what you need to survive and everything else. There are a lot of people right now who should take this under consideration as things are tough and some people are drowning in debt, and of course the costs of everything is going up. What you need to survive and everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment